Building your shop and connecting it to a POD provider is not rocket science. If we break down the business or the structure, the step-by-step plan is:
- Find a niche: Which target group do you want to sell your shirts to?
- Research designs: Which motifs/sayings/topics are requested or bought by the target group? In-depth research always pays off here.
- First designs (have them) created: 5-10 designs are enough to start.
- Set up accounts for Shopify and your POD provider.
- Design your shop, adjust it correctly and make it legally secure
- Set up Facebook Pixel and create social media profiles (necessary for ads).
- Publish your shop and make your first sales.
Sounds pretty simple, doesn’t it?
Of course, this is only a rough overview. There is a lot of work behind every step. You should be aware of that. But you can do it in a reasonable amount of time.
In principle, Shopify is nothing more than a modular system. Of course, it takes some getting used to, but after that, everything is very intuitive.
What I also like: The company operates several channels on YouTube in different languages. There, you will find help and instructions for almost all topics.
So if you get stuck with building your shop, take a look at their Youtube tutorials. And if you need help setting up your POD account, you can usually get support directly from the provider. For example, Printful maintains a Help Center with many articles and videos on various topics.
By the way, at the end of this article, you will also find a collection of resources for your (new) business as a little jump start.
Shopify Apps for Print on Demand: Which Provider Is Best?
Of course, you can’t say in general, which is the best POD provider. It always depends on what is important to you personally.
- Do you want the largest possible selection of products?
- Are you looking for the US or international provider?
- Do you want to have a very special product in your range?
- How much value do you place on certified fabrics or Free shipping?
For me, two providers have emerged over the years – Printful and Printify.
Printful POD Service
Printful is one of the largest POD providers on the market. The company is based in Latvia, the USA, and Mexico, among others.
When you choose Printful, you have an experienced POD company by your side with a large and growing selection of products.
On the other hand, there are also slightly longer delivery times to Europe and Asia, as Printful has no location there.
Printify POD Service
Printify is a young international POD company. For me, Printify scores above all with its high-quality selection of merchandise (including certified organic shirts), fast national shipping, and a clear backend.
I have gained some experience with Printful and Printify and can recommend both platforms to you.
But these are by no means all POD services out there. The number of providers continues to grow, both in the USA and internationally.
Take enough time to research and order one or the other product sample – this is the only way to ensure that your customers get the quality you promise.